.
News Alert
Police Seek ID on Man who Lifted Liquor from…

Guilty Plea for Cranston Man who Gunned Down Estranged Wife, Boyfriend on Park Ave.

Thomas Alejo was sentenced to 15 years to serve in prison.

The Cranston man who shot his estranged wife and her boyfriend outside in broad daylight on Park Avenue last May, sparking a statewide manhunt after he fled the scene, has pleaded guilty.

Thomas Alejo, 41, pleaded guilty to two count of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count each of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence and possession of a firearm after being previously convicted of a crime of violence before Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause in Superior Court on Friday.

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced the plea Friday afternoon and said Alejo was sentenced to 15 years to serve on each of the ADW counts, to run concurrently with one another; a 20 year non-parolable suspended sentence with probation on the each of the discharge of a firearm counts to run consecutive to the ADW counts; and five years to serve, to run concurrent, on the possession of a firearm count.

According to police reports, Alejo went to Agostini's Martial Arts on Park Avenue to drop off his daughter and her friend. His estranged wife, Linda Harrison, was there waiting for her own children to finish a session. 

Harrison was sitting next to her boyfriend Carlos Gonzalez when an Alejo reportedly got out of his truck and began to argue with her. 

When Gonzales told Alejo to speak "nicely," Alejo became enraged, got in his truck and told them he'd be back.

Fifteen minutes later, Alejo came back with a .45 caliber handgun and fired a shot at Gonzalez, missing him. When Gonzalez fled, Alejo followed and eventually shot him in the neck, knocking him down. Alejo then fired a third shot at Gonzalez, hitting him in the leg.

Harrison ran towards the gunfire when she heard it and saw Alejo point the gun in her direction. She turned around to run, but Alejo shot her in the buttocks.

After a manhunt, Alejo was tracked using his cell phone to a relative's house in Warwick.

Both Harrison and Gonzalez were taken to Rhode Island Hospital and were treated for non life-threatening injuries.

Cranston Police Detectives Donald Bucci and Anthony Massimino led the investigation for the Cranston Police.  Assistant Attorney General and chief of the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Unit Daniel Carr Guglielmo prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Elizabeth Roy January 17, 2014 at 04:27 PM
Tired of the ghetto mentality in this city! And, exactly how much does this scum have to serve? Concurrent years of course reduced! Another slap on the wrist because felons have rights and victims have none!
nicole fine January 17, 2014 at 04:59 PM
I hope the children are getting all the therapeutic services they need!!
Bob January 17, 2014 at 05:26 PM
In our lovely little state 15 years means...5 to serve, out in 3 all cranked up to offend again.....unless of course some three time loser in prison decides to make an example of that punk smug face this loser is showing.....
Elizabeth Roy January 17, 2014 at 05:40 PM
The mere fact that he showed absolutely no remorse and actually blamed them for his behavior because they were not nice to him makes me sick! That alone should put him away for 20 years!!
Susan M Heroux January 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM
There is a mistake in the third to last paragraph - you switched the names of the perpetrator and victim. Makes it look like the boyfriend shot the woman. Might want to fix...
Mark Schieldrop (Editor) January 18, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Thank you Susan. I missed it after a couple re-reads. Appreciated.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »