Nobody was hurt when a gas line broke and caused a small explosion at the Shell gas station on Pontiac Ave. on Monday.
A National Grid spokesman said a gas line was pulled from the meter at the car wash by a contractor there to conduct paint work. That caused gas to leak and a plume of vapors was then ignited when a boiler clicked in, causing the explosion.
The boom rattled people who were at the gas station, especially the contractor, Jeff Greenwood, who said he was standing by his van when he was about to start painting when the explosion occurred.
The gas was promptly shut down and National Grid said subsequent checks showed no further leaks.
The incident prompted a speedy response from Cranston fire, police and rescue crews after the first report of the explosion came in at around 10:30 p.m.