Fifteen people, including one who collided with a state trooper's car, were arrested in a State Police crackdown on drunk driving over the holiday weekend.
Early Sunday morning, State Police received several 911 calls reporting that a black Ford pickup was driving erratically on Interstate 95 first in Providence, then in Warwick. Soon after, about 2:30 a.m., a trooper reported the pickup truck slammed into his cruiser, pushing it into the car he had pulled over in the breakdown lane.
Abdiel Asmin Urizar, 28, of 120 Harriet St., Providence, was charged with driving under the influence after allegedly recording a blood alcohol level of .083, just over the legal limit of .08. Urizar was also charged with failure to move over for emergency vehicles. There were no injuries reported.
Urizar was just one of 15 charged with DUI in what Colonel Steven G. O’Donnell termed an "ongoing effort" to combat drunk driving on state highways. O'Donnell requested the public's help, asking motorists to report suspected drunk drivers they see on the road by dialing *77 or 911. The remaining arrested included:
- Robert Henderson, 47, of 31 Church St., Westerly
- John Lindgren, 38, of 85 Lydia St., Providence
- Brian Santos, 36, of 52 Joaquin Court, West Warwick
- Daniel O'Connor, 41, of 656 Fruit Hill Ave., North Providence
- Amy Morrell, 41, of 60 Taylor Drive, North Smithfield
- Kelly Cannone, 55, of 10 Andover Drive, Warwick
- Kevin Herchen, 34, of 58 John St., East Providence
- Carrie Sullivan, 33, of 3 Craig Ave., Tiverton
- Brian Ruffner, 48, of 19 Woodbury St., Warwick
- Ronnie Johnson, 27, of 16 Pelham St., Providence
- Richard Mulligan, 52, of 975 Victory Highway, Burrillville
- Peter Kurczy, 48, of 14 Lea Drive, North Kingstown
- Philip Ammons, 63, of 60 Lindy Ave., Providence
- Mary Long, 21, of 139 Penn St., Apt. 2, Providence