ATTENTION: Are you in need of Legal Help/Answers?
Attorney X, is a special education lawyer whom works for the PARENT and doesn't also work for School's (which, I see as a conflict). This attorney has heard from many of us in Cranston that something STINKS within the School Administration. She has offered to meet with those of us whom feel help is needed ~ and she is willing to meet within a group in need of answers.
I recently applied for Mediation and was DENIED. I just got off the phone with a parent whom also was DENIED, and there are more of us. I am looking to UNITE US on similarities such as:
- Educational Placement (preserving correct supports)
- Moving / Transition;
- Making it KNOWN to you ALL the available Educational Technology (see definitions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_technology );
- Making it KNOWN to you ALL the available Education Software (see definitions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_software );
- School having an Attorney there when you are UNREPRESENTED;
- ESY / Summer Math help or the like;
- Not getting IEP or 504 DRAFTS prior to your meeting?
- Not getting back to you within a reasonable amount of time;
- Told "NO", with no Data to reflect why or the specific reason in writing?
- Language Based Learning Disability (20% of population and highest % of Special Ed students) - are not being taught by Certified Teachers.
I would like everyone reading this to COPY this and send via e-mail or print and take to those that do not have Facebook. Those Special Ed parents that have been in a perpetual exchange of blows and find they are not getting the results sought, should contact me.
UNITY is what is really needed right now! Especially since, Superintendent of Schools, Peter Nero is stepping down and we have Cheryl Coogan, Judy Lunsten, Michelle Simpson and Arlene Garrison in Special Education. Many of you (the "Parents") do not even know who your School Committee member is, and you need to find out because THEY should be Advocating and helping you. While I realize this is the summer, I need feedback asap.
One of the common questions that many annoyed parents ask me, "Why did the School Administration allow an attorney to come to my child's IEP (504) meeting? Are they there to scare me? Why am I paying to have an attorney there when I am not represented? How much do they get paid in the Budget?" Every single parent asks. Now you know where some of your tax money goes ~ nothing gratifying there. Please forward to anyone who may have an interest, or a parent in need of help, or a teacher who wants to help (Confidentially, or as Anonymous) .
Thank you. Be well, Suzanne Arena Mother of a Child with Disabilities - Dyslexia Organizer of C.U.R.E. (Cranston United for Responsible Education)
For Election Change - Oust those that do not represent Change for the better
Importance of using email etiquette: http://www.businessemailetiquette.com/232/e-mail-response-time
E-mail Response Time: What is the rule for how fast you should be responding to e-mails? The short answer: ASAP
“If the children are untaught, their ignorance and vices will in future life cost us much dearer in their consequences than it would have done in their correction by a good education.” –Thomas Jefferson
Suzanne Arena Cranston
RI cell: 401-440-2579